Fly Fishing in Spain – Pyrenees
Fly fishing holidays and guided trips to pristine mountain rivers and lakes in Spain.
Fly fishing in Spain is concentrated in three areas: Leon, Picos de Europa, and the Pyrenees. The best option to fish for wild trout is in the Pyrenees. Ernest Hemingway in his novel “The Sun Also Rises” enjoyed fishing in these northern Spain mountains.
Our company of fly fishing guides in Spain is located on the sunny side of the Pyrenees. Surrounded by the best rivers, lakes, and streams for fly fishing in Spain. These rivers and mountains are one of the best protected natural paradises in the country.
The wild zebra trout, endemic to the Mediterranean region, is our beautiful and most well preserved treasure. Our guests will also have the opportunity to fish brown trout, brook trout, rainbow trout and barbel, mostly fishing with dry fly.
Ricardo and Adrián are the coordinators and guides. Passionate anglers and lovers of the traditional way of life of the Pyrenees, they will do their best to offer you an unforgettable vacation.
Who has not dreamt of fly fishing in sunny weather, surrounded by breathtaking natural scenery? Add in excellent local gastronomy and unique local wines for the best possible fly fishing experience!
Welcome to the Pyrenees, the fly fishing paradise in northern Spain!
“I am a passionate fly fisher and have fished all over the world for a variety of species. My day in the Pyrenees ranks among one of the most memorable. I highly recommend everyone make this a part of their Spanish vacation. The scenery is surreal – one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been, the fishing is fantastic – it was a dream of mine to catch native Spanish brown trout and they are some of the most beautiful fish on the planet, and Adrian and Ricardo are two of the most thoughtful and knowledgable guides I have ever met. Thank you for an amazing experience, I will be back! “ Will Travis_Texas (19/6/2016)
The experience and satisfaction of our customer:
Out Guided Spain Fly Fishing Trips:
Some of the tours that we offer in Spain.
Guided Fly Fishing Trip
Headquarters in Biescas/Graus, perfect location. Fish in the most wild and exclusive rivers in Spain.
Guided Fly Fishing Trip
A trip from east to west fishing in the best spots of the Pyrenees.
Tipology of rivers depending on time of year
The sunshine and friendly climate of Spain together with the great variety of sceneries allows us to offer a wide fly fishing season in the Pyrenees. Fishing possibilities vary depending on the time of year:
- March, April and first half of May: Mountain rivers remain covered by snow and fishing is not allowed. In these months we fish medium mountain rivers in which there is the possibility of capturing trophy trout.
- The second half of May to the end of October: It is time to fish in high mountain streams and lakes. We will also enjoy medium mountain river fishing.
- November and December: These are the best months for trophy zone river fishing. Fishing is not allowed in the rest of the rivers.
Spain, a fly fishing paradise
Many anglers first heard about trout fishing in Spain thanks to Ernest Hemingway’s The Sun Also Rises.
But not all anglers know that in the north of Spain, in the Pyrenees, there are some of the best fly fishing rivers in the world. The fishing is as good as in Patagonia, but nobody knows it.
Spain is the dream destination for anglers and their companions, for the following reasons:
- Happy non anglers: the companions will be able to enjoy excellent gastronomy, culture, history, monuments, excellent wines, National Parks… Our company offers private tours for non anglers, ask us for information.
- Friendly climate: Spain is the country of sun and good weather. Good fishing with good weather tastes much better. Good weather allows us to fish with dry flies all year round.
- Excellent communications, very good health care and safe country: Spain is considered one of the safest countries in the world. In addition, we have 2 of the largest airports in Europe (Madrid and Barcelona), with excellent communications with AVE fast train. Finally, when choosing a fishing trip, it is also very important to value the good health care of the country.
- Zebra Trout: in the rivers of the Pyrenees you can fish a variety of brown trout called Zebra Trout. This trout survived the last ice age and is considered the oldest evolutionary brown trout on the European continent.
- Variety of species: in addition, anglers can enjoy fishing for brown trout, rainbow trout, brooke trout and barbel (known as freshwater bonefish).
- 365 days / year of dry fly fishing: the abundance of insects throughout the year allows us to fish with dry fly every day of the season.
- Variety of rivers in close proximity to each other: from each of our operation centers we can fish more than 12 rivers and their tributaries.
- Mountain lakes and heli-fishing: the perfect complement to a week of fishing in the Pyrenees is to be able to heli-fish in mountain lakes with crystal clear water located at an altitude of almost 9,000 ft
10 things you should know about fly fishing in Spain
We would like to let you know 10 things to keep in mind for your fly fishing trip to Spain:
- The best fly fishing rivers in Spain are found in its largest mountain range, the Pyrenees.
- In Spain the waters are public, but sometimes their accesses cross private land. To cross these lands you must have the authorization of the owner.
- To fish in Spain you need a fishing license. Each region has its own fishing license.
- In addition to a fishing license, a special daily permit is required on certain stretches of river. These permits are called fishing preserves.
- The fishing season in Spain varies depending on the region. In Aragon, we can fish from March 1st to October 31st. Some stretches of river can be fished all year round.
- Spain is home to the best preserved wild trout populations in the whole European continent. It is worth mentioning the existence of the variety of brown trout called Zebra Trout, which inhabits some rivers of the Mediterranean arc.
- The best months for fly fishing in Spain vary depending on the fishing area. In the Pyrenees we have both flat and mountain rivers to offer excellent fishing from March to December.
- The recommended equipment for fly fishing in Spain is 9 feet and #4-5 line.
- My preferred fly for fly fishing in Spain is the Parachute Adams.
- In Spain it is not possible to fish inside the National Parks, but it is possible to fish in the peripheral area.
Our operations centers in the North of Spain:
For the development of our fly fishing holidays in Spain we have two operations centers in the Spanish Pyrenees.